J. Hoare & Co. Scrapbook Collection
Scope and Contents
The J. Hoare & Co. Scrapbook Collection is comprised of seven scrapbooks associated with the cut glass firm but received from various sources. Scrapbook contents include clippings, design inspiration, photographs, and silhouettes and templates of ware from J. Hoare & Co., Elmira Cut Glass Company, Gorham Manufacturing Company, Hunt Glass Co., John Illig, Libbey Glass Manufacturing Co., Pairpoint Glass Company, and many others. The scrapbooks were likely assembled by J. Hoare & Co. employees to document their own products and those of their competitors and collaborators in the industry. The collection also includes one photographic trade catalog.
- Circa 1875-1917
- J. Hoare & Co. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for public research. Researchers must make an appointment to view this collection.
Several of the scrapbooks were disbound when conserved after sustaining damage in the 1972 Hurricane Agnes Flood. Because of the fragility of the original materials, researchers are asked to use digital or microfilm copies.
Conditions Governing Use
The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rakow Research Library against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of Library materials.
Biographical / Historical
The son of a glass cutter, John Hoare was born in Cork, Ireland, in 1822. He immigrated with his family to the United States in 1853, and in 1855 he purchased the glass cutting shop of the Brooklyn Flint Glass Company. He named the shop Hoare & Dailey. The Houghton family bought the bankrupt Brooklyn Flint Glass Company in 1864, moved the business to Corning, New York, in 1868, and persuaded Hoare to open a branch shop there. Hoare moved his cutting shop into the Corning Glass Works factory and appointed Thomas G. Hawkes as foreman of the shop in 1870. Hawkes would later establish the cut glass firm T. G. Hawkes & Co. cut glass firm in 1880. By 1875, "Dailey" was dropped from the company name, and it became known as John Hoare, Rich Cut Glassware. Hoare’s firm quickly garnered interest locally and nationally; an exhibition was arranged in Corning to display Hoare glass, and U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant reportedly ordered glassware for the White House in the early 1870s.
In the 1870s and 1880s, Hoare's firm was one of the largest cut glass companies in the United States, employing up to three hundred people. Products included inkstands, vases, preserve dishes, butter dishes, engraved castor bottles, bar bottles, and much more. Customers included jewelry and department stores from Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, and Helena, Montana. John Hoare sold the business in 1887 to his son, James Hoare, and George Abbott, a son-in-law of Amory Houghton. They changed the name of the firm to J. Hoare & Co. In the same year, the company successfully produced an electric light radiator made of flint glass, a product that helped diffuse the glare of an ordinary electric light bulb. In 1893, J. Hoare & Co. entered a punch bowl into the Chicago World’s Fair; it took two months to make and weighed seventy pounds. The bowl won several medals for its quality and artistic design.
After John Hoare died in 1896, James Hoare expanded his father’s business, opening auxiliary shops in Corning and Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. By 1915, the market for cut glass was decreasing, and there were only fifty workers employed with the company. The onset of World War I contributed to the final decline of the cut glass industry. J. Hoare & Co. was dissolved in 1920.
22.3 Linear Feet (13 flat boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection is of mixed provenance. Items were received between 1968-1990. See item-level notes for detailed information.
Processed by Mackenzie Kriel, Sandra Glascock, Mary Anne Hamblen in 2016. Finding aid revised by Amanda LaLomia and Colleen McFarland Rademaker in 2020-2021.
- J. Hoare & Co. Scrapbook Collection, Circa 1875-1917
- A Guide to the Collection
- Mackenzie Kriel, Sandra Glascock, Mary Anne Hamblen.
- December 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The Rakow Research Library Manuscript Collection Repository
The Rakow Research Library
The Corning Museum of Glass
Five Museum Way
Corning NY 14830 USA