Skip to main content

Bristol Glass Works Ledger

 Collection — Box: 01
Identifier: MS-0046

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of a ledger owned by Bristol Glass Works. The ledger was used to record sales from the company store. The ledger includes the dates November 1823 through September 1824. The ledger is 272 pages. The first 94 pages have been removed from the binding and pages 95-104 are missing.

Dates

  • 1823-1824

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for public research. Researchers must make an appointment to view the collection.

Conditions Governing Use

The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rakow Research Library against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of Library materials.

Biographical / Historical

The Bristol Glass, Cotton and Clay Company was incorporated in Ulster County, New York, in 1811 by Stephen Stilwell, Nicholas Van Leuven and Abraham De Witt. In 1813, Stephen Stilwell and his wife Nancy transferred 833 acres of their property in Woodstock to the Company for the Bristol Glass Works factory. Bristol Glass Works produced window glass, clock domes, and simple glass bottles and tableware. Bristol Glass Works operated under that name until 1825 when the New York Crown and Cylinder Glass Manufacturing Company assumed control of the factory.

The owner of Bristol Glassworks, Stephen Stilwell was born on Long Island, New York, in 1760 he was a Revolutionary soldier and New York, merchant. In 1806, he purchased a large tract of land in Woodstock, New York, which would later become the site of Bristol Glass Works. Stilwell played an active role in local affairs, serving as both Assessor and Overseer of Highways. He died in Ulster County, New York, in 1847.

Extent

1.6 Linear Feet (1 flat box)

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Manuscript is very fragile and some pages are loose; researchers should handle with care and use a book cradle or pillow.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Received from Dan Casavant in 2022.

Accession 2022.004

Processing Information

Processed by Sarah Tronkowski in 2022.

Title
Bristol Glass Works Ledger, 1823-1824
Subtitle
A Guide to the Collection
Status
In Progress
Author
Sarah Tronkowski
Date
May 4, 2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the The Rakow Research Library Manuscript Collection Repository

Contact:
The Rakow Research Library
The Corning Museum of Glass
Five Museum Way
Corning NY 14830 USA
607.438.5318