National American Glass Club Records
Scope and Contents
These records of an organization for collectors and scholars of glass arts, decorative arts, and craft consist of nine series:
(1) Governance Records, 1942-2011
(2) Meeting Minutes, 1933-2015
(3) Correspondence, 1962-2001
(4) Membership Records, 1935-2007
(5) Publicity Materials, 1940-2021
(6) Reports, 1934-2001
(7) Programs and Seminar Records, 1987-2006
(8) Chapter Records, 1977-2007
(9) Miscellaneous Materials, 1933-2008
- National American Glass Club (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for public research. Researchers must make an appointment to view the collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rakow Research Library against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of Library materials.
Biographical / Historical
The National American Glass Club was founded in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1933 as the National Early American Glass Club. Since its inception, the club has served an educational mission and sought to foster the study and appreciation of glass arts, decorative arts, and craft. Its members include glass collectors, scholars, dealers, artists, educators, and students in North America and beyond. Regional chapters of the National American Glass Club flourished across the United States in the 20th century.
In its earliest years, the club primarily hosted speakers at its regular meetings. In 1938, it commenced publication of The Glass Club Bulletin, a periodical in which members and others publish glass research articles. Editors of The Glass Club Bulletin have included Ada Danforth, Paul Hollister, Jane Shadel Spillman, and Gail Bardhan. The club also publishes a newsletter, Glass Shards. In 1976, the club began to hold an annual seminar including workshops and research presentations. Early seminars were held in Bethesda, Maryland; after 1986, seminars have been held in various cities in the United States and Canada.
The organization changed its name to National American Glass Club in 1996.
5.1 Linear Feet (9 Hollinger boxes and 3 half Hollinger boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from the National Early American Glass Club in 2003. Accruals received in 2011, 2016, 2017, and 2021 Accessions 2016.013, 2017.010, 2021.025
Processed by Colleen McFarland Rademaker in 2021.
- National American Glass Club Records, 1933-2021
- A Guide to the Collection
- Colleen McFarland Rademaker
- April 30, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description