Skip to main content

J. & L. Lobmeyr Correspondence Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0230

Scope and Contents

This small set of largely incoming correspondence to the J. & L. Lobmeyr glass company was assembled by the Viennese writer and noted autograph collector Eduard Fischer von Röslerstamm (1848-1915). His collection was auctioned by the company List & Francke (Leipzig) in 1911 and 1913, with unsold and small pieces going to the bookshops Heck (Vienna) and Salomon (Berlin). Parts of the collection ended up at Gilhofer's, a rare book, manuscript, and autograph dealer based in Austria, and this old stock was subsequently purchased by Antiquariat Inlibris, Gilhofer Nfg.

Given this provenance, it is unclear how representative this correspondence is of J. & L. Lobmeyr business correspondence of the era. However, these nearly 300 letters do provide a glimpse into the luxury glass trade in Europe in the mid- and late 19th century. The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by author and includes inquiries regarding the placement and fulfillment orders of high-end glass tableware and other decorative arts.

Dates

  • 1845-1896

Creator

Language of Materials

The majority of collection materials are in German. A few documents are in French and English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for public research. Researchers must make an appointment to view the collection.

Conditions Governing Use

The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rakow Research Library against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of Library materials.

Biographical / Historical

J. & L. Lobmeyr, a glass company known for producing luxury tableware, mirrors, chandeliers, and light fixtures, was founded in 1823 in Vienna, Austria, by Joseph Lobmeyr. His sons, Josef and Ludwig, took over the company from their father and embraced the traditional designs and techniques of Bohemian glass working. In 1883 the company produced the first electric chandelier in collaboration with Thomas Edison. Joseph Rath, a nephew of Luwdig Lobmeyr, took over the firm in 1902 and is known for his work with modern designers of the Wiener Werkstätte and Art Deco movement. While the firm remained in Vienna, it had offices in Kamenický Šenov and Karlovy Vary, both located in present-day Czech Republic. Over its two-hundred-year history, J. & L. Lobmeyr has remained a family-owned company.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger box)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Received from Antiquariat Inlibris, Gilhofer Nfg. GmbH in 2015. Acc. 2015.004

Processing Information

Processed by Colleen McFarland Rademaker in 2020.

Creator

Title
J. & L. Lobmeyr Correspondence Collection, 1845-1896
Subtitle
A Guide to the Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Colleen McFarland Rademaker
Date
August 31, 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the The Rakow Research Library Manuscript Collection Repository

Contact:
The Rakow Research Library
The Corning Museum of Glass
Five Museum Way
Corning NY 14830 USA
607.438.5300