Rodefer Glass Company Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of business records of an American glass manufacturer located in Bellaire, Ohio, that primarily produced glass objects and components for other manufacturers. The records are divided into five series:
(1) Financial Records, 1894-1914
(2) Production Record Books, 1900-1943
(3) Correspondence, 1910-1948
(4) Photographs, Undated
(5) Miscellaneous Materials, 1913-1969
- Majority of material found within 1894-1945
- Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for public research. Researchers must make an appointment to view the collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rakow Research Library against all claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of Library materials.
Biographical / Historical
Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company was founded in 1869 or 1870 as National Glass Works in Bellaire, Ohio. In 1877, the company was purchased by Albert, Thornton, and John Rodefer, who operated it under the names National Glass Works and Rodefer Bros., sometimes combining the names into one as National Glass Works (Rodefer Bros. Pros.). By 1898, Thornton Rodefer was the sole owner of the factory and operated it as National Glass Works (T. A. Rodefer Prop.).
Thornton Rodefer's son, Charles Mayger Rodefer, joined the family business in 1902 and took over company leadership after his father's death in 1910. C. M. Rodefer incorporated the business as Rodefer Glass Company. In 1952, Rodefer Glass Company purchased Gleason-Tiebout Glass Company and became the Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company. The Rodefer-Gleason Company remained under Rodefer family management until its dissolution in 1982, when the factory was sold at auction.
Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company and its predecessors manufactured a wide variety of glass objects, primarily for other companies rather than the consumer market. Their products included kitchenware and tableware, skylights, lantern globes, lamp chimneys, headlight covers, and paperweights.
15.4 Linear Feet (21 Hollinger boxes, 2 half Hollinger boxes, 3 flat boxes, and 1 glass plate negative storage box)
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Series 01: The accounting ledgers have been disbound; the journal of sales has red rot and a very fragile binding.
Series 03: Most letter book bindings are fragile and damaged by red rot, and the paper inside is extremely thin and fragile. Researchers should be aware that the copied letters were bound with front sides facing each other.
Series 04: Use caution when handling the glass plate negatives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Tom and Deena Caniff and the Book Exchange in 1985. Additional materials received from Dick Roller in 1998.
Processed by Sarah Alender and Colleen McFarland Rademaker in 2020.
- Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company -- Archives
- Rodefer Glass Company Records, 1894-1982
- A Guide to the Collection
- Sarah Alender and Colleen McFarland Rademaker
- August 14, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The Rakow Research Library Manuscript Collection Repository
The Rakow Research Library
The Corning Museum of Glass
Five Museum Way
Corning NY 14830 USA