- Existence: 1779 (date of family establishment of a glass house) - 1892 (date of death of Thomas Wriggins Stanger) - 1892
The Stanger family was a family of German American glassmakers who immigrated to Philadelphia in 1768. Jacob and Catherine Stanger (Stenger) left Hesse (Dornhagen) with their seven sons, at least one of whom is believed to have apprenticed at Wistar Glass Works. In 1779 or the early 1780s, the Stanger brothers founded a glasshouse in Glassboro, New Jersey. It remained in the family only until 1784, but the Stanger family remained in the glassmaking trade in both Glassboro and New Brooklyn, New Jersey.
Jacob and Frederick Stanger, along with William Shough, built and owned Union Glass Works between 1806 and 1811. Frederick Stanger then went into business with his father-in-law, Randall Marshall, to build and operate a glasshouse in Marshallville from 1812 to 1827. Frederick Stanger then began building a glasshouse in Brooklyn, New Jersey, which came to be known as Marshall and Stanger. Frederick Stanger died in 1831, and the Brooklyn factory was operated by his cousin, Thomas Wriggins Stanger, who ultimately married Elizabeth Marshall Stanger, Frederick Stanger's widow.
Thomas Wriggins Stanger may have been a founder of the Isabella Glass Works (also called the New Brooklyn Glass Works), which began operations in the 1840s or early 1850s. He remained associated with the operation of this factory for many years. He died in 1892.
Thomas Stanger and John M. Stanger are thought to have been sons of Frederick Stanger and stepsons of Thomas Wriggins Stanger.