J. & L. Lobmeyr
- Existence: 1823 (date of establishment) -
J. & L. Lobmeyr, a glass company known for producing luxury tableware, mirrors, chandeliers, and light fixtures, was founded in 1823 in Vienna, Austria by Joseph Lobmeyr. His sons, Josef and Ludwig, took over the company from their father and embraced the traditional designs and techniques of Bohemian glass working. In 1883 the company produced the first electric chandelier in collaboration with Thomas Edison. Joseph Rath, a nephew of Luwdig Lobmeyr, took over the firm in 1902 and is known for his work with modern designers of the Wiener Werkstätte and Art Deco movement. While the firm remained in Vienna, it had offices in Kamenický Šenov and Karlovy Vary, both located in the present-day Czech Republic. Over its two-hundred-year history, J. & L. Lobmeyr has remained family-owned company.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents This small set of largely incoming correspondence to the J. & L. Lobmeyr glass company was assembled by the Viennese writer and noted autograph collector, Eduard Fischer von Röslerstamm (1848-1915). His collection was auctioned by the company List & Francke (Leipzig) in 1911 and 1913, with unsold and small pieces going to the bookshops Heck (Vienna), and Salomon (Berlin). Parts of the collection ended up at Gilhofer's, a rare book, manuscript and autograph dealer based in Austria, and...