Skip to main content

J. & R. Lamb Studios



  • Existence: 1857 (date of establishment)


J.& R. Lamb Studio is the oldest continuously operating stained glass studio in the United States. It was founded in New York City in 1857 by two brothers: Joseph (1833–1898) and Richard Lamb (1836–1909). Other Lamb family members who led or worked for the J & R. Lamb Studio include Charles Rollinson Lamb (1860-1942), Katharine Lamb Tait (1895-1981), and Karl Barre Lamb (1890–1969). In 1970, the studio was purchased by Donald Samick.

J.& R. Lamb Studio has received many accolades over the years, winning medals at the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition, the 1900 Paris International Exposition, and the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo. Stained glass windows and glass mosaics created by the studio may be found in all 50 states and in many prominent buildings, including the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (Minneapolis, Minnesota), Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims (Brooklyn, New York) and the U.S. Marine Corps Camp Lejeune Chapels (Jacksonville, North Carolina). In 2007, the studio’s records were acquired by the Library of Congress.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Katharine Lamb Tait Papers

Identifier: MS-0153
Scope and Contents

These papers of a stained glass artist are divided into two series:

(1) Business Records, 1903-2004

(2) Personal Papers and Artifacts, 1896-2010

Dates: 1896-2010