Stevens & Williams Ltd.
- Existence: Approximately 1847 (date of establishment) - 1999 (date of dissolution) - 1999
- Usage: 1968 (date of name change) - 1999 (date of dissolution) - 1999
Stevens & Williams Ltd. was established in 1847 in Brierley Hill, England. The company produced cut flint glass and plain crystal to specialist glass cutters and also made colored glass for stained glass windows. Frederick Carder began working there in 1880 when Stevens & Williams made a variety of innovative types of colored glass.
In 1968, the company changed its name to Royal Brierley Crystal, which it had used occasionally since 1919, the date when George 5th awarded Stevens & Williams a Royal Warrant. By the late twentieth century the firm was struggling to survive and, in 1999, it closed its doors.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Frederick Carder Papers
Scope and Contents The Frederick Carder Papers include both personal and professional materials from the glassmaker's century-long life. The bulk of the collection is composed of sketches and design drawings. It also includes glass recipes, travel diaries, correspondence, awards, business and professional records, photographs, and design inspiration. The collection is arranged in 11 series:Series 1: Biographical Information, Circa 1866-1963Series 2: Wordsley School, Circa 1880-1903...
Dates: Circa 1862-1966; Majority of material found within 1880-1942