Stained Glass Association of America
- Existence: 1903 (date of establishment)
The Stained Glass Association of America was founded in 1903 as the National Ornamental Glass Manufacturers Association in Columbus, Ohio. Representatives of approximately 45 stained glass comapanies gathered to create a national association, an idea which had been in circulation for several years. The first officers were Mr. Flanagan of Chicago (President), Mr. Mueller of Milwaukee (Treasurer), and Mr. Ludwig von Gerichten (Secretary). The association was founded to help stained glass manufacturers respond to organized labor and decreasing prices for stained glass installations.
The association founded a periodical in 1906, which continues to be published today as Stained Glass: Quarterly of the Stained Glass Association of America. In the mid 1920s, the organization changes its name to its current name, Stained Glass Association of America.
Paul von Gerichten, "Founding the Association -- A Retrospect." Stained Glass, Vol. 31, No. 3 (Winter 1936-1937).