Steuben Glass (Firm)
- Existence: 1903 (date of establishment) - 2011 (date of dissolution) - 2011
Steuben Glass was founded by Frederick Carder in 1903. Carder named his company after the county in which he set up his glass factory. Located in Corning, New York, Steuben County is located in the Finger Lakes region. Carder learned his craft in England before immigrating to the United States in 1903. Steuben Glass was purchased by Corning Glass Works. In 2008, Corning sold Steuben to Schottenstein Stores. This relationship lasted only briefly, as Schottenstein ended Steuben production in 2011. However, Corning Incorporated repurchased the brand and Steuben products can now be purchased through the Corning Museum of Glass (CMoG).
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Bolislav Manikowski was a designer for Steuben Glass for many years. His drawings and artwork are divided into five series:
(1) Design Drawings, 1930-1936, Undated
(2) Blueprints, 1935, Undated
(3) Sketches, Circa 1930
(4) Other Artists' Work, 1917, 1932, Undated
(5) Miscellaneous, 1938-1951
This collection consists of one letter written by George L. Thompson to Lynn B. Rogut in 1975. In the letter he responds to questions received in an earlier letter from Rogut about his background and what influenced his design for Steuben's glass sculpture "Sea Breeze." In conclusion, he asks to see a copy of her finished paper.