Skip to main content

Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1926 (date of establishment)

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation was created in 1926 by William Archer Rutherford Goodwin and John D. Rockefeller Jr. The foundation's main goal is to preserve the history of 18th-century Williamsburg. It is a non-profit organization that continues to restore historic buildings, maintain a museum, and provide educational activities for visitors.

In 1962, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's archaeologist, Ivor Noël Hume, joined with staff of the Smithsonian Institution and The Corning Museum of Glass, to participate in the excavation of the New Bremen Glass Manufactory, also known as the Amelung Glass Manufactory, near present-day Frederick, Maryland.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Amelung Excavation Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0001
Scope and Contents These records comprise documents produced between 1962 and 1966, during excavation at the John Frederick Amelung glasshouse site in Maryland. They also include as well as more recent material, such as reports on the excavation and photographs of the excavation selected for exhibition. The records are arranged into five series: (1) Records of the Amelung Excavation, 1962-1966 (2) Background Reseach Materials, Circa 1962-1963 (3) Ivor Noël Hume's Reports about the...
Dates: 1962-1976